Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day Ten: Lansing, MI

This is the last entry for the roadtrip. I got home early Sunday and have been catching up with shows on my DVR, and pretty much just loafing about. I was beat when I got back, so I took it easy.

After I left the Boulder area I headed west to the Rocky Mountain National Park. As you get close to the park there is a town that leads into it, Estes Park, and if they ever thought about doing a Northern Exposure remake, it could be made here. Lots of log cabins and old style buildings and the thing that reminded me the most, elk on the side of the road eating grass, just chillin'. I didn't get a picture 'cause it was right by the middle of town on a somewhat busy street. I tell you what, there were elk all over that park, on the side of the road, you definitely had to keep your eyes on the road.

The park itself was really beautiful. it started off in the floor of Rocky's where it's teeming with trees, green and gold, to the top, where it's barren and snow covered. Here's a few of my favorite pictures.


You definitely had to take the mountain pass slow at times. Two miles above sea level on a two way street. It got a little nerve wracking at times.

There were pulloffs along the road where you could take a short path to something, sometimes a lake, sometimes just neat looking rock formations. I tried to take all that I could, but it became apparent that Rocky Mountain air is not the best air when you're fighting a cold, thank goodness I brought a jacket and gloves, just in case, although a winter hat, just in case, would have been nice too.

I spent a while in the park, but then I headed out, I took a road North through the rockies some more and drove west through Wyoming toward my next destination, Mt. Rushmore. I got there just after dark. For some reason the parking was free, nice. As I approached the Mt. all I could think about was how much it looked like a matte painting lit up by spotlights like it was. I stared at it for a while, tried to get a picture, but with the only light being spotlights, the best I got was not quite crystal clear. It's one of those surreal moments as you think about how something like that could even be done in those days.

I hauled ass for the next two days, cutting through South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and back to Michigan. I ended up sleeping at a rest area on the way, that's what they're there for, right. Plus, I got to thinking about how much this trip was costing and fell into cheapo mode. Well, I just didn't stay in a hotel Friday night. I got home early Sunday morning around 2 AM. I spent Sunday recuping by watching football, and now I'm back. I'm glad I went, but it's good to be back.

No comments: